Monday, November 23, 2009

Pumpkin Frozen Yogurt


















"Hi. Dad."

"Oh, hi Bonnie. What are you doing?"

"I'm getting ready for class.  It was so beautiful here today.  In the high 70's I think."

"Oh really?  It was freezing here.  So guess what I have."

"What? Your jacket?"

"No.  I bought two pumpkin pies and whipped cream."

And he ate them both.  That night. After dinner.


















Because, you see that is how my dad is.  A food machine.  His metabolism is the speed of light and for as long as I can remember he will eat a full dinner and then a large dessert of some sort.  Pumpkin pies.  A box of cookies.  A pint of ice cream.  And, never has gained an ounce.  He's a runner, like father like daughter, and so it melts right off him.  He is cut up, in fact my husband said once when we were at the beach and he saw my dad with his shirt off, that he looked like batman.


















But look, we all dont have the ability to consume two pies and never see it.  But we all do love a good, delicious, fall treat.  So please, do yourself a favor and try this.  It's. so. delicious.  Its made with non-fat yogurt, and yes there is sugar, but if you use organic then you are better off.  My guest Martha who ate this said "this may be the best frozen yogurt I have ever eaten."  Serious.  What a compliment.  I'm blushing.   My husband added some whipped cream to it and declared it wonderful, and of course I followed suit with an additional squirt of chocolate syrup.

Buy an extra can of pumpkin and give this a whirl.


Pumpkin Frozen Yogurt


1 cup milk  {I used Almond Milk}
2 cups plain yogurt {I used non-fat}
1/3 cups plus 2 tablespoons of granulated sugar 
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon {I used whatever I felt like here. I LOVE cinnamon}
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg {Again, whatever looked pretty}
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup of pumpkin puree {If you have a 15 oz can, this will give you a bit left over. No worries, just mix it with a bit of butter in the food processor, with some spices and sugar to taste and bam you have enough pumpkin butter for a few slices of toast.}


Place all the ingredients in a food processor or blender.  Blend, or process, until smooth.  Place all ingredients into ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions, and when finished, enjoy.  




4 comments:

  1. looks amazing! Cannot wait to make it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to make this and add eggnog instead of milk. Horizon makes a killer organic low fat eggnog (I am adding it mainly b/c I have some in the fridge that I need to use!). Oh, I CAN'T WAIT! Yea for your amazing pumpkin frozen yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love eating cold desserts when the air is crisp. This is a perfect Fall dessert for me...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. pumpkin icecream wow thats a first for me!

    ReplyDelete