Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Healthy and Delicious Mac and Cheese














People are always talking about comfort food.  And frankly, I feel like that's all I eat.  I mean of course, I eat salads and fruit and yogurt and all that, but the majority of my "diet" is comfort food.  If it's not delicious then why, oh why would I eat it?  No clue.













So here's the deal.  This dish is super easy and super yum.  Start by browning some hamburger meat.  Yes, I said that.  We all need some iron.  Boil some noodles, whole wheat if you want to be healthy. And then here is the real kicker: skim mozzarella, cottage cheese and greek cheese yogurt.  I. know.  Sound odd right? No way. Delicious.  And I added some green peppers in here as well as butternut squash to make it extra good.  We loved this, and my husband who is an avid mac and cheese fan very much approved.  You get a little protein, a little carbs, a little dairy, and veggies. I mean hello. Everything you need, and for those of you that eat well on a regular basis, this is comfort food that wont cramp your style.

Healthy and Delicious Mac and Cheese


Cooked noodles (as many as you will need for your family or guests.  I did about 2 cups)
1 cup butternut squash puree
1/2 lb of hamburger meat (or turkey meat, or none)
1/2 cup of cheese greek yogurt (I got mine at Trader Joes)
1/2 cup of cottage cheese
1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese (or any cheese you want)
1 whole green pepper (or, again, any veggie you want)
1 egg
Pepper to taste


In two separate pots, boil noodles until done, and brown meat until cooked all the way through.  While cooking, place all other ingredients into a large bowl and mix until just mixed. Fold in cooked and strained noodles, and then meat.  Place in casserole dish, adding a bit more cheese to the top for browning, and place in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Yes!! You know how long it's been since I've had Mac and cheese? I almost bought myself some of the boxed stuff last week just because I haven't tasted it in forEVER. This is beyond cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds delicious! I love that you put Greek yogurt in, I'll definitely have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LaChelle, I know what you mean. I LOVE mac and cheese! I hope you like it!

    Jeanne, I am huge fan of greek yogurt. HUGE. So naturally I just grabbed the large tub of the cheese one. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delish and I want to make it tonight!!!!
    I have a quick question, by cheese greek yogurt do you mean just greek yogurt or is a special kind of cheese?

    ReplyDelete