Monday, October 19, 2009

Carrot Cake Ice Cream

I love cake, and I especially love Carrot Cake.  Delicious.  And something about the fact that it has veggies in it makes me smile.  I'm a huge nerd.  Anyway, I had seen a recipe from David Lebowitz here and looked good, but it didn't have cream cheese, which is one of the best parts of the Carrot Cake as far as I am concerned.  So, I found a recipe for Cream Cheese ice cream here, and decided to put the two together, and of course, get inspiration from a recipe for Carrot cake itself.

Carrot Cake Ice Cream


1 cup of pecan halves
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons of dark brown sugar


I followed the directions for toasting the pecans from Mr. Ice Cream himself.  I put the oven 100 degrees too high the first time and burned them.  Oops.  But let me tell you, these are delicious.  I would recommend chopping them up in larger pieces, because the flavor can spread through the whole ice cream. For this particular recipe, you want the pecans to kind of add a punch to the rest of the flavors, not infiltrate the entire scoop.


I love pecans and I could eat them all the time.  Look how good they look!



8 ounces of cream cheese {I used Organic, full fat.  It tastes better, and it's organic.  Again, have a full scoop of full fat, rather than three scoops of non fat.  The chemicals you will be eating in non-fat is just not worth it.}
1 cup of milk 
3/4 cup of sugar
1/8 teaspoon of salt
1/2 cup of heavy cream
2 cups shredded and chopped carrots







Place all the ingredients (except the carrots) in a blender until smooth.  Pour ingredients into ice cream maker, and slowly add the carrots. In the last 5 minutes of churning process, add the pecans.  Adding the pecans last will again keep the flavor with the pecans only.  Follow your ice cream maker's instructions, and voila!  It's a yummy treat!



Look at that delicious scoop!

No comments:

Post a Comment