Monday, October 19, 2009

Strawberry-Raspberry Peppermint Chocolate Frozen Yogurt

That title cracks me up.  It screams the revealing fact that I wanted to make frozen yogurt but I had random ingredients and just threw them all together.  Maybe a better title would be "Mint Fruit Surprise."  No.  No one likes to be eating a "surprise" because who knows what is in there.  It is better, if you can't in your title, to tell your guests what they are eating.  Then there is no picking around in the food and leaving a small pile of ingredients on the side of the plate.

Anyway, this frozen yogurt turned out great.  My husband ate tons of it, and finished it off last night.  It was a huge hit, and it was so pretty.  I also used all organic ingredients, and substitututed the sugar for Agave Nectar, so it was Jillian Michaels {the world's toughest, and my favorite, trainer} approved. I like to pretend sometimes that she is going to come to my house and check up on me in my workout routines or in my eating habits, and frankly if I was caught eating this one, I think she would not only give me a high five, but would ask for a few scoops herself.

Strawberry-Raspberry Mint Chocolate Frozen Yogurt


3 cups of non-fat organic frozen yogurt
1 cup of strawberry Keifer {You caught me.  I ran out of non-fat yogurt, so I used this Strawberry Keifer.  Sometimes my best decisions come out of my mistakes.  This added texture and TONS of delicious, natural, flavor.}
1/4 cup of Agave Nectar
1/2 cup of milk
Raspberries {However many you have.  Eat some while you make it, cause why not?}
1 package of Newman's Own Organic Dark Chocolate Mint cups


Place the yogurt (and Keifer), Agave Nectar, milk, and raspberries into a blender.  If you want to have raspberry chunks in your yogurt, then wait on the raspberries.  I chose to blend them so that the mint chips were the only thing that stuck out in the yogurt.


Agave Nectar is a sugar substitute that is all natural.  You can get it at any Whole Food, Trader Joes, or any store of the like.  It is 4 times as sweet as regular white sugar, so you only have to use 25% of what you normally would use. 


Pour all the ingredients into your ice cream maker and begin the churching process.  Make sure that you freeze the bowl to the full amount.  I have messed this up, and the ice cream churns, it's just in liquid form.  It will freeze later, and taste the same, but if you are serving it right away then you are at a loss. So make sure you follow the directions.  Chop the Mint cups into small pieces, you be the judge here.  How much do you want in each scoop?  Decide this way, and then proceed.




These are seriously so good.  I got them at Whole Foods, and was surprised to find that they have milk chocolate, and peanut butter too.  My husband is lucky that we had Peppermint in the pantry, otherwise I would have put the peanut butter ones in here.  Don't test me, I would have.  


Again, like the Pecans in the Carrot Cake Ice Cream, I put the Peppermint pieces in last so that they would not get mashed in the churning process.  With any frozen yogurt, the less fat you use, the more icy the yogurt will be.  That's ok.  Just remember to leave the container out for a few minutes before you scoop it, and shape the scoop on the side of the container so you look like the chef you are!  If not, just fake it and cover it in chocolate sauce.



 Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment