Monday, October 26, 2009

Spice Cake




Ok I have to confess, I used a box cake mix for this one.  I know, why even post it right?  But, I must admit that when you are short on time, a box cake is the way. to. go.  I had found a recipe for Pumpkin Spice Cake that I really wanted to try, but cooking dinner for 15 people in a kitchen that is not your own, and going to a bridal shower that same day, means that something has got to give.

My husband was feeling sad that I took the reins on the dinner and so he wanted to make the cake.  He made home made cream cheese frosting per my direction, and drizzled it because that is my favorite.  It turned out beautiful, but also delicious.  We also had a choice of vanilla bean or Butter Pecan Ice Cream to have with it if the guests wanted.  It was an odd feeling knowing that would be my last scoop of store bought ice cream for one whole year.  Alas, it was delicious, and the adventure begins.

In case you want a semi-homemade cake, here is the recipe for cream cheese frosting:

Cream Cheese Frosting


1-2 lbs of powdered sugar
small amount of milk
8-16 oz of cream cheese


Start with half of the powdered sugar and one 8 oz. package of cream cheese.  Slowly add small amounts of milk while mixing with a power mixer on low.

Now, just eye ball it.  What are you going to do with the frosting?  Pile it on thick.  Then add more powdered sugar.  Drizzle?  Then add more milk.  Remember, if you have too much frosting at the end, then you can always save it and make something else the next day.  Frosting is easy, and way better than Betty Crocker.  No offense.


No comments:

Post a Comment