Monday, October 26, 2009

Butternut Squash and Pumpkin Lasagna

Everyone loves fall flavors, and although I am usually not big about breaking tradition for Thanksgiving, this would be a great alternative to a traditional meal.  Or, of course, in addition.  I originally had this delicious recipe at my friend Julia's cooking class.  So, I must give her all the credit on this one.  It was delicious.  I used pumpkin puree instead of butternut squash and it really gave it a punch.  I also put crushed pecan on top, which gave each bite a little crunch and an additional nutty flavor.  Delicious.

Go to Julia's blog for the Butternut Squash and Pumpkin Lasagna recipe, but below are a few of the substitutions that I made:

I used Brown Rice Pasta instead of Whole Wheat.  This posed a few problems as if they are cooked too long then it will fall apart.  However, it tastes the same, and remember that because lasagna has so many layers, just place the biggest pieces on the bottom for a nice foundation.


I also opted for the Pumpkin Puree and I thought it was delicious.  It really brought out a fall taste.  Depending on the other appetizers, side items, drinks, and desserts, you may opt for a pumpkin theme.  However, if you are a butternut squash fan, then don't use the pumpkin.  It's a win-win either way.


Like I said above I added chopped pecans to the top of the lasagna.  I love pecans.  Love them.  In fact, I roasted some tonight just so that I could eat them later.  Love them.  Everyone enjoyed these pecans on the top, a nice crunch in each bite and something that really sets it apart from other lasagna dishes.  Delicious.


For those who are new at food prep, Julia uses the term "julienned" to speak of how the Sage and Basil leaves should be prepared.  I must confessed that I often skip small details because I am in a rush, or lazy, or just cause I don't know what it means.  The term "julienned" means that the leaves are cut into long pieces, and then diced.  What did I do?  I just ripped up the leaves, and smelled the delicious smell on my hands all day.  No matter how you dice it, it will taste delicious.

I think you are really going to love this dish. Making it has made me excited to make more untraditional lasagnas.  I think that I might branch out this holiday season and make Turkey Cranberry Stuffing lasagna for Thanksgiving.  Thoughts?


3 comments:

  1. this was SOOOOOO good. I might even try it. I love that you are exploring the world of cooking :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here is a link to an interesting 'Thanksgiving Lasagna'
    http://www.bitchincamero.com/mel/2008/10/autumn-turkey-pumpkin-lasagna/

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice! looks amazing.i just might make it!

    ReplyDelete