Thursday, November 19, 2009

Sour Cream Bread



I can not begin to tell you how wonderfully moist this bread is.  I had a tub of sour cream and I did not know what to do with it.  I also got two great bread books for my birthday from my husband and sister, because the year of not purchasing bread and ice cream has begun.  So I flipped through and I found this recipe.  I was hesitant, but so glad I made it.  I love when random ingredients come together and make something delicious.


Before I get into the recipe, though, I must tell you about this book my husband got for me: The Bread Baker's Apprentice Mastering the Art of Extraordinary Bread. It's beautiful.  Like when I tell you that my food was so pretty I could barely eat it, that is how I feel about this book.  The pictures are wonderful, the writing is so descriptive and I love that it has all sorts of breads, recipes, and techniques.  I think it's important to really learn the technique behind cooking and baking, not just do it.  I would highly recommend this book for those who feel the same.  Good job, husband.

The second book I received for my birthday was from my sister.  It's Beard on Bread, and frankly, it's awesome.  This is where the recipe came from.  Oh, yeah.  The forward is written by Chuck Williams of Williams-Sonoma.  What is not to love about that?  Page turner.  I'm serious.  I'm aware it's just about bread.  Good find, sister.

So what do you do with sour cream bread?  I think this is my favorite part.  You can put butter and jam on it, make mini sandwiches or, do what I did and make mini appetizers for you and a friend.  Or just eat 97% of them and tell the other person that the rest are for them.  That's what I did too.  These little guys are simply fresh caught tuna steak, cooked in a peach salsa, cut up and mixed with a dab of mayo and mustard, and laid on a bed of spinach, which of course, was on toasted sour cream bread.  I'm telling you, this bread is so diverse, I. just. love. it.




Sour Cream Bread via Beard on Bread


1 package active dry yeast
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 cup warm water (100 to 115 degrees, approximately)
2 cups sour cream
1 tablespoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
4 1/2 to 5 cups all-purpose flour


Combine the yeast, sugar, and water, and all to proof for five minutes.  (This means that you let it sit for a few minutes.  If the yeast it good, it should expand an form bubble on the top.  See?  You learn something new every day!) Put the sour cream, salt, and soda in a mixing bowl.  Add the yeast mixture. Then add 4 cups of the flour, cup by cup, to make a very wet, sticky dough, beating hard with a wooden spoon after each addition.  Scrape out onto a lightly floured board. Using a baker's scraper or spackling knife, lift the flour and the dough, and fold the dough over.Turn it clockwise slightly and repeat the lifting and folding process until the dough is less sticky and can be worked with your hands.  Add only flour to prevent sticking.   (This entire kneading should take about 10 minutes, possibly longer if you are inexperienced.) {Beard's words, not mine.} Shape the dough into a ball, place in a buttered bowl, and turn to coat it with the butter.  Cover with plastic and let sit in a warm spot until doubled in size.
     Punch the dough down. turn onto a lightly floured board and knead for a minute, then divide into two equal pieces.  Butter two 9 x 5 x 3 inch loaf tins. Shape the dough into loaves and fit into the tins. Cover loosely and let rise again until doubled.   Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the loaves sound hollow when tapped on top and bottom.  Cool thoroughly before slicing.  {I always skip this step.  Let cool?  Are you kidding me?  I want the butter to melt right before my eyes. Immediately.}

3 comments:

  1. I love the cutting board in the background! I want to try this bread. The mini sandwiches look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks great! I also have a huge tub of sour cream in the refrigerator...now I know what to do with it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Bonnie! thanks so much for stopping by my blog. it's great to read about your bread books. i've been mulling over buying The Bread Baker's Apprentice for quite some time. looks like a great book.
    have a very lovely Thanksgiving! — Allison

    ReplyDelete